Thursday, March 11, 2010

Alice In Wonderland And Philosophy

Title: Alice In Wonderland And Philosophy
Editor: William Irwin
Reading level: Late Teen-Adult
Paperback: 210 pages
ISBN #: 9780470558362
Received From: FSB Associates
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons
Group Genre: philosophy/non-fiction
Cover: A
Overall: A-


"Alices Adventures in Wonderland has fascinated children and adults alike for generations. Why does Lewis Carroll introduce us to such oddities as blue caterpillars who smoke hookahs, cats whose grins remain after their heads have faded away,and a White Queen who lives backwards and remembers forwards? Is it all just nonsense? Was Carroll under the influence? This book probes the deeper underlying meaning in the Alice books, and reveals a world rich with philosophical life lessons. Tapping into some of the greatest philosophical minds that ever lived Aristotle, Hume, Hobbes, and Nietzsche Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy explores life s ultimate questions through the eyes of perhaps the most endearing heroine in all of literature. "
When I received the offer to review this book I was ecstatic for two reasons. One Alice In Wonderland is one of my all time favorite books. Number two with the movie coming out I figured what a great companion it would make!


The book itself takes the complex world Alice has fallen into and dissects the philosophy behind all the curious things that are occurring. At times the book was a little dry but it got me to question Carroll's writing. (As most of you I assumed he was on some good drugs or something) But after reading the philosophy (possibly) behind the novel I'm amazed at the connotations placed throughout the original! Afterwards I just had to pick up my copy of Alice and reread with a new insight I didn't have before. It was a real eyeopener and I never would have realized this fairytale could deal with so many of life's issues! I went to see the movie today (more on that later) and once again felt I had a better understanding of the world of Wonderland.


Overall I really enjoyed this book it's one that will make you think definitely! The book itself can drag at points which is why I suggest a little older audience. But if your a scholar or just curious, and curiouser about Ms. Alice definitely give this book a try!

LOL=Lots Of Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails