Friday, April 9, 2010

Queen Victoria:Demon Hunter

Title: Queen Victoria Demon Hunter
Author: A.E. Moorat
Reading level: All
Paperback: 374 pages
ISBN #:9780061976018
Received From: Birthday Present
Publisher: Harper Collins
Group Genre: Hit/Fic, Horror
Cover: A
Overall: B-

"London, 1838. Queen Victoria is crowned; she receives the orb, the scepter, andan arsenal of bloodstained weaponry. If Britain is about to become the greatestpower of the age, there’s the small matter of the undead to take care of first. Demons stalk the crown, and political ambitions have unleashed ravening hordes of zombies even within the nobility itself. But rather than dreams of demon hunting, Queen Victoria’s thoughts are occupied by Prince Albert. Can she dedicate her life to saving her country when her heart belongs elsewhere? With lashings of glistening entrails, decapitations, zombies, and foul demons, this masterly new portrait will give a fresh understanding of a remarkable woman, a legendary monarch, and quite possibly the best demon hunter the world has ever seen."

Before I start take this novel for what it is "a zombie parody on Queen Victoria's reign". That being said I do have a thing for parody's especially paranormal parodies! And I really wanted to get into this novel because I'm such a history buff (and I make desserts for a restaurant called Victoria & Albert's) but it was very hard to get into. The action was what I expected gory, at times gross, and brutal. However; I was missing out on a lot of the plot and character development. They all seem so flat i.e I'm in love so I'm going to become the greatest Demon hunter and get my man. And it was written so short, the book felt rushed at points. Even through the one dimensional plot and characters there was some laughter; I found Perkins to be like Igor from "Young Frankenstein" but with zombie hunger. He was truly a delightful giggle. And the minuscule interwoven history that was in the novel wasn't so bad; but it certainly wasn't a focal point. I kind of wish they had been able to bring out more character detail and historical elements than focus on gore. But that being said the gore was done well and Victoria's love for Albert really did triumph all in life as it does in the novel. At the end of the day I liked this book as a quick, fun read but wouldn't put the novel to much more than simple pleasure read. And the cover is great (if you haven't noticed it's a parody on a real portrait of Victoria). If your a zombie/demon/succubus/anything else demonic you might really get into the book. But it won't be hitting my favorites list anytime soon!

LOL=Lots Of Love

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been interested in all of these paranormal type recreations that have been released lately. My boyfriend read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and he thought it was just okay. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how this book was. I've been looking for a good novel on Victoria but this doesn't seem to be it.
    Thanks for the Review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails